You need to give your employees a pay slip within one working day of pay day, even if they’re on leave or away from work. A pay slip can be in electronic form or hard copy. You can email a payslip to your employee or give them access to login to the payroll system to access their payslips. Pay slips should be easy for your employees to understand.
Do I need to show leave balances on pay slips?
It’s not a requirement to show leave balances on a pay slip, but you need to advise an employee of their leave balances if they ask you.
What do I need to include on a pay slip?
Pay slips must contain details of the payments, deductions, and superannuation contributions for each pay period.
You need to include the following details on a pay slip:
· employer’s name & ABN
· employee’s name
· date of payment
· pay period dates
· gross payment amount
· tax deducted
· net payment amount
· any loadings, allowances, bonuses, incentive-based payments, penalty rates, or any other separately identifiable entitlement paid.
· If the employee is paid an hourly pay rate, the ordinary hourly pay rate and the number of hours worked at that rate and the amount of payment made at that rate
· If the employee is paid an annual rate of pay, the rate as at the last day in the pay period
· Any deductions made, (e.g. health fund, union dues, salary sacrifice payments) including the name, or the name and number, of the fund or the account of each deduction
· If the employer is required to make superannuation contributions for the benefit of the employee:
o the amount of each contribution the employer made or is required to make during the pay period
o the name, or name and number, of any superannuation fund into which the contributions were made or will be made.
If electronic pay slips are issued, they should be issued to employees securely and confidentially and you should ensure that employees can access and print their electronic pay slips in private.
If you don’t issue pay slips, they are late or you don’t include the correct information, you can be issued an infringement notice by Fair Work Inspectors.
For further expert advice on human resources, email firstname.lastname@example.org or book in for a call.
For further expert advice on human resources or if you have any questions about anything HR related, get in touch.
Karen Hillen is your HR Partner, she helps businesses by providing HR support and advice services.
For the right HR support and advice, book a My HR Partner HR Advice call with Karen Hillen.
My HR Partner memberships provide 24/7 access to employment contracts, HR policies and documents, and HR advice calls. These services are tailored to the member’s needs and can be accessed on demand through phone or email for performance management issues, pay rates and Award advice.
Find out more about My HR Partner HR Hub membership here: